Re: Frost Heaved Hostas

In a message dated 2/13/1999 11:05:37 PM Central Standard Time,
sussextreeinc@ce.net writes:

<< I considered digging these hostas and re-planting them deeper but it seemed
 lot easier just to put more soil over the top. I wonder what others do in
this
 situation?

 Usually I try to plant hostas so that the top of the crown is 1 inch below
the
 soil grade. Sometimes I think I go a little shallow when I plant a plant that
is
 in full leaf.

 Is there anyone out there with an opinion as to the correct planting depth
for
 hostas in the soil? >>
The same happens to my hostas every year. I do the same in most cases--simply
cover with soil. Sometimes I just push them back in the ground, with my foot.

Cover hostas with soil just to 1/2 " from the  top of the crown.

Some people( who are great growers) plant their hostas upside down. One must
have excellent drainage to get away with this method, however. This can be an
excellent way to have crown rot.

Clyde Crockett  z5