Re: Frost Heaved Hostas

From what I have observed, I believe that the hosta naturally grow to the top
and the roots become exposed.  Some varieties seem much more apt to do this
than others.  In Chattanooga we have not had enough cold to cause any heaving
for the past few years, yet each year I find plants that have exposed roots
and the eyes are completely out of the ground.  The same thing occurs in
containers but since container plants are repotted more often, the conditions
is not as obvious.  For years I have added soil to cover the exposed plant but
now I just add mulch.  I have observed in the summer when cleaning around
plants that often long feeder roots are on top of the soil but covered by the
mulch.  Since my soil is so heavy and often compacted, I think the roots are
looking for air and are eager to get the meager supply of water that is
available.  My theory is that the plant understands it needs and works toward
meeting them.
After weeks of temperatures in the seventies, we had 18 degrees this morning.
Of course hostas are up, wild flowers are ready to flower and the tree pollen
count reached 176 last week.  You folks with frozen ground seem to think you
have problems.

 <A HREF="http://www.hostasonline.com/l/lakeside/index.html">