Mulch

Beth, hardwood mulch holds very well on slopes. It interweaves like a
beavers dam. If the hosta is mounded up the heaving is less of a problem
than in a depression where water can settle then freeze and thaw. I
personally like to mulch above the exposed eyes when they heave.

Beth arnold writes
Should I dig and replant?  Hard work!  That will probably be best because if
I cover it with soil it will probably just erode again.  To many hillsides!

Butch Ragland So. Indiana zone 5