"Happy99.exe"<== worm-virus WARNING!!!...to all who believe it?

  • To: JOHNSON Forrest Davenport IA US z5 <JSKG09A@prodigy.com>
  • Subject: "Happy99.exe"<== worm-virus WARNING!!!...to all who believe it?
  • From: WiN <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 17:39:16 -0500

To whom this may concern:

        Early into 1999, someone sent out a file into pixlist/hosta-open groups
"happy99.exe" and running this file, releases a worm-virus onto your
        Today, Forrest JOHNSON sent me this same file, for some unknown reason,
but that is OK, since "PIXLIST" is a free expression group, however?

TO FORREST <== Somehow?...I missed your humor of sending, and without any
explanation as to what kind of "executable file" you send via
'happy99.exe'...and unless you can give me justifiable cause & reason, as to
why you send me this file, please be advised: you are no longer a part of
pixlist, as of this posting!
    To make this a unanimous decision?...and to any pixlisters objecting to the
deletion of our virus-sending friend, please advise me accordingly as to any
reasons why we should keep him on board (Forrest Johnson included?)?

As you may recall, some people did get hurt by "Happy99.exe" and others, had to
do many manipulations/procedures to fix & prevent disaster with their hard

EVIDENCE BELOW and to whit -- I'm gonna paste some related emails below:

Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 19:11:26 -0500 From: Township <township@acbm.qc.ca>
Subject: Re: Warning Sender: owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com To:
Looks like I may have been the one singled out! I opened and ran the file,
then Joannes message came in with the warning! Since the puter didn't
blow-up, I thought, wow! lucky me! Finished reading e-mail, shut down the
puter. A little while later, started her up again, and nothing...no desktop
( just Bobs Wallpaper in the backround) with some sort of message telling me
there were restrictions placed on my system! Tried to get rid of this,
rebooted....still nothing!
Called Compaq....we tried all kinds of stuff, same results...nothing!
BTW...MacAffee did not detect anything! Good huh!
We tried to access some files so that I can save some personal files, ....no
go! Had to run a "Quick Restore" which basically makes your puter like new,
they say...fixes all and wipes out all, but reloads all software that came
with this package!
Now..a question...is this still going around? Like, if Denise opened and
ran the file, was "bit" can she pass it around by sending e-mail ( sorry
Denise, don't mean to pick on you!)?
Bob...help! any ideas!