Bloom time 7a.

hey all,
walking home from hearling the Nelon southern gospel singers (another true
"addiction"............

camellias of all shapes and colors continue to bloom after our "winter " of a
week ago.  the buds are quite hardy, and when our little "gifts" from up
north are gone, these buds remind us of the promises we have to come, if we
just bear the cold for a tad.

my 'white empress', (camellia japonica) is queenly at 12' high, after being
killed to the ground in the winter of '83.  huge double white blooms, with
long gold anthers, provide a crowning appearance.   she's a bit too large for
modern small gardens, but "supports" one end of my porch.

acer rubrum is starting it's pale pale bloom season here, which with the many
strains of native acer will provide a pale flash of color in the skies till
mid march.  one of the wonderful things about winter, is driving down thru
central and south georgia and seeing the varied color expressions of the acer
rubrum, not to mention it's many new cultivars.

next to my huge burfordi holly, which has it's showiest berry presence in
years, my hamamelis virginiana has begun it's bloom also.  this is one that
was to be appreciated close up, as the tiny yellow flowers are the picture
book definition of    Flowers: inconspicous.

top this with a few acer palmatum cultivars on the back deck that still hold
fall color without the hint of dessication.

and of course, the evergreen giants, the timber bamboos, phyllostachys vivax,
toppin 45', and reaching basal diameters of 3 1/2" are now thriving in the
bottom yard, and the more "refined" jet black culms of the p. nigra, the
"black bamboo", topping out at 10-12'.  (soon the hues of abiqua drinkin
gourd will further enhance those black, mottled culms, with "powis castle"
artemesia providing another hue in the blue to black garden with shades of
gray and silver.  black mini boulders from beautiful minnesooooota play  with
the "black knight", (ophiopogon ' black mondo.)
doncha just love winter???

Happy New years and new century, (but not millenium yet)
(is this a con, to sellus all the left over millenium stuff next new
years???? da dummmmmmm)
peace and happiness for all.
y'all be good

Cindy Johnson & Harry Abel
dba
Shinkigen...
a new beginning
http://members.aol.com/Shishi/shink.index.html
hand carved stone water basins
traditional bamboo water garden accessories