HL - Auction Item #58 *more seed is available?*

memo to: HOSTA EXPANSIONS LIBRARY LIASON ORGANIZATION (hello)
sent via: hosta-open; nise & hostapix
TO: Lu Treadway, Barbara Jones, Bob Axmeare and ALL
Regarding ***Auction Item #58*** Let's Streak + bonus Big Blue & White line
bred seed strain.

TO WHIT: In preparing & packaging full tablespoons of hosta seed Item #58
(to be mailed tomorrow) to the highest bidder of the Hosta Library Auction
(going to Bob Axmeare $55.00) -- please be advised --
--   I have found, full pint preserving jars of these items stored in my
freezer; and this,
--   of the seed-types offered for auction as

Item # 58 -- *Let's Streak Special Selections 1999* ...A seed-strain, now
into it's fifth generation.  *Special Selections* refers to my flagging &
seed collections from Mothers (pod-parents?) having striated/splashed
leaves; striped scapes and streaky pods ***triple-barrel-effect*** to
guarantee streaky offspring, so to speak?  This selection encompasses all
generations growing here and inbreeding of piecrusty-ruffled leaf edging
(Donahue's Piecrust) red petiole factor (Kinba) early season flowering
(Ryan's Big One) and I forget what else has been inbred over & over with
each generation's work.  Let's Streak, has resulted in some terrific fun &
entertaining gardening for people around the world, since I started passing
out LET'S STREAK'seed freely in 1995; and some truly amazing hosta types
have resulted, some are introduced & registered.  The originator of this
seed strain (F1 generation) and whom supplied me with my F2 generation
"building block beginnings* in 1995, was a very hearty (Heart of Gold)
woman; and whom has requested anonymity, hence I shall not reveal her
name.  However, this seed strain is a direct relative/derivative to H.
'Virginia Reel' pictured in one of the AHS Journals of the past.
      The Bonus Item, thrown in for free with the above seed-purchase, is
from my *Line Breeding* efforts, to purify early season flowering; large
blue leaf factors; huge & tall plant size, having white florets.  The F1
originating mother was H. 'Ryan's Big One' and I am currently in the F5
generation.  Line Breeding is a process, wherein a selected plant type is
self-pollinated; and in next generation the best two sisters are
cross-pollinated. This self & cross procedure, is repeated for as many
generations as needed to arrive at the desired pure bred effects.  There
appears to be some Inbreeding Degeneration happening via F3.F4.F5
therefore, this seed is from F1 (selfed) seedling selections, i.e. the F2
generation (crossing of best sisters) which provided the best
results.  Fertility & germination of this item is the highest I've seen in
hostas; about 80 percent sprouting, producing 100 percent large blue leaf;
large growing plants; early flowering and being 100% white flowering.   The
Big Blue & White item is sold in Canada as 'Bill's Big One' :))

Note to Hosta Library Auction Committee (Lu Treadway, Barbara Jones, Bob
Axmeare & etc.) and all reading this?

I feel? ..there is enough seed here (Item #58 related) to offer this
Auction Item to anyone who would like to grow & try it therefore, I'm
wondering who the bidders on this item were, and will cover each and every
bid made -- if they still want it? ..and this, until we have depleted my
surplus stock.  For that matter, those who did not bid, can have some too,
but this is not a one way street ("take as you please FREE?") -- all
proceeds here, are going to the expansions of *The Internet Hosta Library*
and hopefully one day soon, will lead into a new *Shade Gardening Society*
as originally suggested by Paul Aden, some years ago?

Lu Treadway/HL'committee ...please send me the e-mail addresses & bid
prices, of those who made a bid on Item #58, for the purpose of evaluating
how much seed would be needed to extend this offer to everyone?  Also,
anyone who thinks they may want some, please email me
*PRIVATELY*?  Payments for this seed will go directly to the HL-Treasurer
(Barbara Jones) and I will pick up the cost of packaging & postage; and
this is, if the HOSTA LIBRARY NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION allows me to
blanket-cover all bidders of Item #58?  I personally open it up to everyone
else --  If there is enough seed --  First come = first served; until we
are sold out?

HOSTA'lly yours

the'SHADOW'gardener
personal Web-site>> http://www3.sympatico.ca/raffi
E-mail> "William Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
Lettermail> 157 Harvard Road, Guelph, ON, CA N1G4L3
New Internet Seedling-hybridizers Exchange [nise discussion]
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nise
Hostapix digital-image sharing group [hostas] >
http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/hostapix
Norway Internet Seed Exchange/trading [NISE] >
http://www.iril.no/garden/garden/seed_bank.htm