Re: Pro-mix (Was: Re: baking dirt)

In a message dated 1/4/00 09:46:00 Eastern Standard Time,
jmahosta@WinterberryFarms.com writes:

<< do
 not use mixes with organic peats (often from Georgia). >>

Good morning, Jim:

Are there inorganic peats?  Why do you suggest not using the organic peats in
seed starting...wet conditions and too fine peat?

Is there a mail order source for the mix Fafard 3B?  An educated guess is
that this product contains no peat, correct?

I usually use Pro-mix, and I add perlite.  My seeds are in a nursery flat
with a fine mesh bottom for drainage.  The flat is put into a ziplock type
bag.  One really does not have to water again.  However, I mist the flat
using a diluted fish emulsion and a seaweed brew about every 7-10 days.  I
empty the water from the bag to prevent algae build up.

Rich Horowitz
Stoughton MA