Can we take a deep breath?

  • To: "Hosta" <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
  • Subject: Can we take a deep breath?
  • From: "Daniel Nelson" <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 09:42:19 -0500

Hosta and Shade plant lovers,

I don't understand why Bob doesn't have freedom to do what he wants with
the Hosta Library. Making Bob work harder just to ensure shade garden
plants are EXCLUDED from the web site borders on cruel and unusual

The money raised in the Hosta Library auction did not buy Bob. It also
does not come close to covering the true cost of Bob's services if a
private company were hired to do what Bob is doing.

It looks like we are already into the "control thing" that is so
prevalent in the American Hosta Society.

Everyone involved is lucky Bob does not have my temperament. If I were
Bob I would be tempted to tell everyone I don't need the money from the
auction. I am going to do what I want with my web site,  I will raise
the meager funds needed myself to support what I am doing on the web,
and I am putting shade plant photos in the Hosta and Shade Plant Library
because I want to.

How about if we let Bob worry about the commitments he makes for

Too many irons in the fire? Not hardly. This is a cruel critique of
Bob's efforts. I have confidence Bob will complete every one of the
projects he has started and will exceed our expectations is ways we
aren't even aware of yet.

I have another H. 'Alex Summers' ready to donate to the new Hosta and
Shade Plant Library if that's what it takes to start things off.

We are being very unfair to Bob. He has not asked to be the center of

Let's just give him the ball and let him run with it.

It's not really our decision anyway.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7