Subject: Re: Gypsum - Soil Conditioner
Author:  hosta-open@mallorn.com (owner-hosta-open@mallorn.com) at HERCULES
Date:    01/05/2000 10:29 AM

In a message dated 1/5/00 08:11:56 Eastern Standard Time,
janh@infocom.com
writes:

<< What do you all think about using Gypsum for a soil conditioner for
growing
 hosta - outside? >>
Good morning, Jan:

The following reply is made without knowledge of your soil: Gypsum is
an
expensive soil conditioner.  It is a good one to use where soils have
clay-like conditions.  It behaves similar to coarse or sharp builder's
sand
when added with organic matter to clay soils will help with water
percolation.  The gypsum is also a source of slow release calcium.

Hope this helps...Hostally,

Rich Horowitz