Re: Gypsum - Soil Conditioner

Jan,
I use gypsum regularly on any new beds I make in our Michigan 'blue clay." I
add the gypsum first, often in the fall to give the thawing and freezing a
chance to
help it work into the soil. The following spring I add
as much compost/manure/spaghum peat as I can manage. Use more gypsum each
year if necessary.
The only hesistation I have is if your soil would react
poorly to gypsum. You could check with your local
cooperative extension. Gail Zone 5, trying to be 6