articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Ash borers targeting other ash family members

Record-setting 2096-lb pumpkin grown in Switzerland

16 year-old girls increase crop production 74%

First open-source seeds released!

Designed, hosted, & managed by

Horticultural Software Solutions™

Re: Metro Mix (Was:Re: Pro-mix (Was: Re: baking dirt))

OK John,

Your point is well taken.  One reason for my discussion about the theories
pertaining to soil moisture in containers, is to point out that artificial
mixes should match the cultural practices.  In your case, the heavier soils
tend to work best as evaporation is a problem in your dry environment.  In
the greenhouse, over watering often is the problem.  My advice is to
experiment and see which artificial soil works best under your conditions.
If you experience drainage problems use a mix with higher porosity (pinebark
added).  If you find yourself with too little moisture, use a finer mix
without pinebark. This is one reason there are so many different mixes on
the market.

Jim Anderson