Re: Weed control question.

  • To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
  • Subject: Re: Weed control question.
  • From: Ransom Lydell <ranbl@netsync.net>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:21:31 -0500

At 12:08 PM 01/11/2000 -0600, you wrote:

>As far as using round up before the hosta come up, this will or will not
hurt the
>hosta?
>I've been led to believe it won't but not quite sure.   Also I see folks
are using
>it around
>the daylilies with no harm to the daylilies.
>
>Everybody seems to be mixing the round-up themselves.  I have been buying the
>premix
>off of the shelf at the local shop, is this sufficient or the best
strenght as it
>is mixed by the
>Mike
>Milwaukee
Mike
I have been using it for years on Hosta.  I don't even worry if some are
starting to "come through"  Never bothers them.  I have, however, seen a
lot of damage to daylilies.  I usuall spray in early April, to get as many
of the weeds as I can.  this causes many little seeds to sprout, so I leave
time for a followup 10 to 12 days later.  this can be at a reduced
strength.  for the daylilies, it works well to take some "one and two
gallon " pots, and place them over the daylilies.  Hope this helps
Ran Lydell