Re: growing those streakers, et al

At 04:20 PM 01/13/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Okay, hosta people, what is the perfect depth for planting hosta seeds.
>Advice differs, and I want to give my 'streakers' the optimum chance to grow.
>I've planted hosta seeds a few years back, but this time
>I want to do it just right.  Gail

1... use a sowing container, having holes in bottom and sterile growing medium
2... surface sow in rows, sow quite heavy, even one seed on top er kissing
another
3... sprinkle vermiculite and/or perlite (or both) over top of seeds (just
enough so you cannot see the seeds anymore?).
4... place sown container in a tray having no holes in bottom
5... boil some water
6... pour hot hot water into tray wherein the sowing container sits
7... when top of vermiculite/perlite is wet, slip sown container inside Zip
Lock bag
8... keep in warmest part of house
9... on 14th day after sowing put under lights.
10.. U can keep the seedlings inside the Ziplock for months, and transplant
directly outdoors if you like?  Start fertilizing at 2nd leaf (fish formula
will not burn the leaves by misting).  SUPER'thrive is also a good additive
to use.

Notes: boiled water, prevent algae growth and fungus gnats & this warming
of the growing medium stimulates sprouting, as well as having a sterilizing
effect on soil born fungus bacteria which cause mould and Damp Off.

just some thoughts

Bill Nash/Canada