Pesky deer in Rebecca's garden

Last week I saw a deer wandering around to our end of town (well out of his normal territory).  So we took to discussing the abundance of deer and the declining natural habitat.  Well, an article in Rebecca's Garden by Carole Ottesen brought a chuckle to the people on my train this week.  Here is the excerpt that made them laugh.
"Rather than total destruction as with the tulips and strawberries, the devastation was now random.  With plentiful grass to assuage their hunger, the deer picked at the perennial beds like guests sampling hors d'oeuvres, pausing to gorge on particularly delectable offerings.  Hostas, I learned, are the horticultural equivalent of shrimp at a cocktail party.  I should have tried scattering handfuls of hair from my nearby barbershop.... human hair and urine are repellents, but as deer become more used to people, they are less likely to be scared away by our scent.
Needless to say There were some who had an idea of how to do the urine (one is sporting a rather large bruise to the chest <darn I was trying to break his ribs>).
Your ever so weary hosta friend,