Re: Indoor Hosta Question

In a message dated 01/17/2000 7:15:07 AM Central Standard Time,
ljatsoh@ifreedom.com writes:

<< my sweet dogs had unearthed a few of my hosta earlier this winter, so I
brought them in and potted them up.  These plants have sprouted and leafed
out, lifting the winter doldrums, but now I have a dilema....
 Should I force them back into dormancy toward the end of winter to get a
full year of growth/bloom outside? Or should I just acclimate them to the
outdoors when the weather breaks in Spring?  They only had the minimum
dormancy period this year.
IMO, I do not believe there is any reason you would need to force them back
into dormancy.  If you are growing seed this winter, let them enjoy the same
light.  If not, allow them as much light as possible now and place them
outside (protected for a while) when weather allows in the spring.

If your dogs unearth more next winter, pot them up and leave them in a cold
garage, adding a little moisture once in a while.

If the experts suggest something else, we will both learn.
Ray Rodgers, Bartonville, IL, CIHS, Zone 5