Re: Repelling Deer

Hi  -
 	We have a Briard (Frendh sheep dog) and previously had two of them at a
time for a number of  years. While she is an inside dog, she is taken out
both at dusk and at dawn and, of course, other times during the day. The
same was true when we had two of them. We have walked dogs all over our
property and much of our neighbor's property, particulary in an area that
the deer regularly use. Presence of dog elimination products has made no
difference to the deer. Previous dogs chased the deer....made no
difference, they ran just far enough that our dogs did not follow and them
came back as soon as the coast was clear. My conclusion is that the dogs
must be outside and loose at the times the deer attempt to come to dinner
so that the dogs can chase the deer away. Even when chased in the past, the
deer come back when they think the coast is clear. I have put deer netting
on all of my Taxus....you can see the deer tracks in the snow as they have
gone from shrub to shrub...and they cleaned the ivy off of all of the trees
to their browse line after the first snow fall. Hunters have not been able
to clear the area. The only humane solution of which I am aware is to fence
in  your gardens with electric fence.

Carolyn Q. Bryson, Indianapolis