Re: Hosta info or social club (or both?)

Dan wrote:
"I think a lot of space was wasted in the Journal with the whole series of
hostas would I buy if I had X number of dollars". Almost the same hostas
listed over and over again. This series seemed like filler material to me."

I agree. I also am not interested in the garden write-ups ---BUT I can
understand that some would be interested since less than 20% of the AHS
attends  the convention.

Ray wrote:
"...should be able to read in their local society newsletters. "

Hopefully Dan and I will be able to improve on the Delmarva Hosta Society

Andrew wrote:
"let me recommend once again that there is better medium for
publication of scientific articles -- the Internet."

Dan and I hope to use the internet to make it easier for us and other
editors to publish good articles (scientific or not) in local newsletters.

Many have an opinion about what they want to see in the Journal: more
scientific, less scientific, gardens write-ups or not, ..........This could
be debated for a long time with many still having the same opinion after the
debate. I would hope that most would find a variety is the best mix.

What bothers me is what I consider a WASTE of space:
1/2 page for "Has Your Address Changed?" ---surely a 1/8 page would suffice
1/2 page for "Our Advertisers" ---I'll see the ads--don't need a table of
contents for them!!
2/3 page on the Dixie Chicks--the singing group not the hosta.

Other beefs:
I wish that the number of pages dedicated to listing the awards could be
Some of the photos did not seem to be up to the standards of past
Journals---areas out of focus, violation of "Don't  lead the viewer's eye
off the edge of your photo.", obvious shadows and other inappropriate
too much blank background around photos, etc

I have not intentionally stepped on anyone's toes. I apologize if I have
hurt anyone's feelings.

Preston Littleton ( plittleton@ce.net )
Seaford DE
zone 7