Re: Hosta info or social club (or both?)

Andrew wrote:

>>I asked Ben for a copy of his article weeks ago because I would like to
read it,
>>but I also recommended that it be published online. I'd like to see him
publish
>>it to a web site over in the Netherlands. If he sends it here, believe me,
I'll
>>get it done in a jiffy. There are lots of folks that would like to read
ALL of
>>the scientific articles that pertain to the genus Hosta, and plants in
general,
>>and what better medium than the web?

I have Ben's "ploidy" article online, only needs his final check to make
it available for everybody. Will keep you informed.

I agree 100% that the web is a great medium to share and publish
information. And like
you said, a lot of people want to read all of the stuff about  Hosta.
However, who is
willing to share? The moment you ask somebody for specific information there
is silence.
Why aren't the Hosta registrations available online? I've some already.
Still want to
participate. With a few people we can do it in a 3-4 weeks and then it's
there for
everybody to use. One small problem: we need permission if we want to
publish it and
are they willing to do that?

>>From the articles I have read of Ben's, particularly the "Flow Cytometry
>>DNA Analysis in Hosta reveals ploidy Chimeras", there is little question
that the
>>scientific method was applied. However, for this article to appear in the
AHS
>>Journal without significant editorializing, I believe this would be a
mistake.
>>The target audience is just too dissimilar from those who enjoy these
types of
>>articles.

I think Ben's article is a great read and I learned a lot from it. I can
only recommend
it to anybody who wants to "learn" a lot about Hostas, but I do agree with
you that
it would need some editing to make it suitable for the Journal. On the other
hand,
was Ben's article ever mentioned in the Journal?

>>With the above said, let me recommend once again that there is better
medium for
>>publication of scientific articles -- the Internet.

Not a better medium, but another great medium. A lot of people do not have
access
to the Internet or are very limited in what they can do with it. So they
might prefer a
journal or a book.

>>I'm not saying it's the ideal medium, or the only site, but when will we
begin to
>>see that there are better media available, such as what is posted at the
>><http://www.hostasports.com> web site?

Great site except for : This site was last undated on 06/28/00

>>I'll be adding interesting articles all the time, but I have to know of
them first.

I will do the same, just watch my site.

>>Later, Hosta Dude...
>>Andrew Lietzow