Re: Nemacur 10G

  • To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
  • Subject: Re: Nemacur 10G
  • From: andrewl <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 22:40:04 -0600

Bring on the Chemicals!
Well, it has finally happened.  After four months of searching and about 30
phone calls, I have finally sourced a bag of Nemacur 10G.  EPA # 3125-237.
In probably another week, coming out of Houston, TX, I will be able to pick
that bag up and claim victory against Aphelechoides fragariae during this
next Spring, or whatever this foliar nematode is called that seems to be
invading the Midwest.

I never had any problems with Nematodes until this past summer, but the 2000
year was an unusual one for Iowa weather, and it was an unusual year for my
Hosta patch.  The spring broughts rains nearly every other day all the way
into mid- to late-June.  I did not have to water in either May or June.
Then, it's like somebody turned off the spigot and we had a near drought.
While not having concluded the definitive tests, I am fairly certain that I
had some of those critters on the premises.  Of course, this was the first
year that I purchased so many plants from several different sources so it
kind of comes as no surprise than sooner or later I'd find a few (my personal
collection went from 65 to 400, and the commercial inventory went from 0
varieties to 230).   So, whether it was the weather, or whether it was the
new wholesale sources, in late August, I identified one huge clump of Golden
Tiara (which had been there for years but had had a new plant inserted next
to it) and probably 4 or 5 other plants that had the tell-tale symptoms of
these beasty little creatures.

Fortunately, I had read the article on pages 78-84 of Volume 30, No 1,
"Control of Foliar Nematodes on Hosta", (in our absolutely MARVELOUS AHS
Journal), I knew I had only a few options.  For a home gardener, or collector
of just a few, digging plants up and putting them in tepid water for 25
minutes may sound like a decent option, especially if you don't have a
Restricted Use Pesticide (RUP) applicators license.  For a commercial
operation, dipping a few thousand plants in vats of warm water is definitely
the option of last resort.   Without access to chemicals, I posit that in 10
years, our civilization would be in great jeopardy--the bugs would take over
the planet.

So, in September, I began the search.  I simultaneously began studying the
two manuals for RUP Cert.  Up until today, I was beginning to wonder if I was
ever going to get access to this chemical.  However, the luck of the Irish
must have been with me. (I passed the Cert tests in September--never thought
I'd spend the next three months trying to obtain the very chemical for which
I had been seeking certification).    Maybe it was because I began by calling
the DC office of the EPA; maybe it was because I had prayed about this so
many times that finally I made a good connection, or maybe it was just my
perseverance in face of significant adversity, but somehow the order is now
placed (actually, it was because I spoke with the head of Product Stewardship
with Bayer gricultural Products and I guess he knows how to get the attention
of sales people anywhere in the country).  And, I don't have to purchase a
whole pallet of the stuff; just one bag (I probably only need 1 lb of a 50 lb
bag, but never mind that, I'm tickled pink to have it.  I'll have a lifetime
supply, but so what).

Maybe some of you other growers have had a better experience or have a better
option for treatment, but for me after seeing the results of that study, I
determined that Nemacur 10G was the way to go.  And I'll look forward to
being able to say that my plants have been treated with a nematicide to be
nematode free.  Don't know that this will mean much to some, but from what I
am hearing, these critters made quite an entry into the upper midwest last
year and if you didn't see them, you were quite fortunate.  Nearly everyone
I have talked to has, and there are several growers that have become
concerned.

What some thought was no longer available may in fact be.  It has to be
labeled for use on Hosta in each state, but if you dig long enough, you just
might meet with success, too.

Happy to know that we can be Nematod free for 2001.

Andrew Lietzow
http://dev.hostahaven.com/discus
Where we talk about such things as bugs, and the chemicals that will tickle
their innards for just last time...8-))