Re: Repelling Deer

Kdye1@aol.com wrote:
> John,
> You must have a fenced yard and your border collie would have to be
> outside
> all the time wouldn't it?  I have often thought about having an
> outside dog
> that would be on patrol all night.  It probably wouldn't even have to
> be a
> specific type of dog.
> Kay

Hello Kay, no our yard isn't fenced.  Our 5 acres is open and connected
to enormous tracts of mountain land.  Clia has roamed freely since she
was a little pup.  I don't think I could stand to fence her in, or tie
her up.  She only rarely crosses our property lines, but she does
vigorously defend the borders of our property.  About dark every day we
let her come into the garage for the night.  We used to see lots of deer
around here until Clia started her patrols.  We have seen her give chase
to deer on two occasions.  The deer were very glad to get out of her
range.  She's just a little farm dog, but oh so much better than any
dogs I have ever had, including American and Canadian Champion
Newfoundlands when we lived in Minnesota.  Her main object in life seems
to be to be with us, and to please us.  I can't imagine not having her.
Good luck,
John Lanier

MissVitro Plant Tissue Culture Laboratory
John and Laura Lanier
Route 9  Box 908
Burnsville, NC  28714
(828) 682-4174