quite the clever gal, N.

Incidentally, I think I should deprecate my status as Plantsman back to "The
Emerging Hostaholic", at least until two events occur;
#1) I read Ben's article on White Flowers, and
#2) I memorize the vein pair counts on 20 of the most prominent Hosta species.

I'm encouraged that, in my lifetime, #1 may be accomplished, but without a
nice cheat sheet on Hosta species, I may be in for trouble on #2.  I'm not
much good at making and massaging databases, like Marvin, Hugo, Lu , or
several others here, so can anyone point me to a URL that has this info?  I'd
like to be able to rattle off the major characteristics of say, H. montana or
H. Venusta, right off the top of my head.  And, because the synapses don't
spark as quick at they used to, I could really use a crib sheet.

Of course, many of the REAL Hostaholics know this stuff already and probably
won't share their secrets.  Why?  Because they'll never see this message.  (I
have yet to see Zilis, Schmid, or Pete Ruh post on the net--maybe they are
just lurkers?). Yet indeed there ARE quite a number of OTHER Hosta moguls that
are on this hosta-open that probably have this information down cold.  So how
about it?  Anyone know of any tricks on how to remember this kind of stuff,
maybe a system like counting the months off across your knuckles?

Now here's a thought.... Hosta Trivia.  Anyone know of a game of Hosta Trivia
that has been published?   Think of all of the fun we could have at
convention, sitting around playing a game of Hosta Trivia, or killing time on
the bus!   Some of the discussion forums spend time playing Hosta password,
and that is kind of fun, yet it gets a little boring after a while.  I'd like
to see someone put together a trivia game with categories like Hosta Sports,
Hosta Species, Hosta Hybridizers (with whom who you wish you were good
buddies), The Hostas of the year for the last 20 years, famous past AHS
Presidents, infamous past AHS Presidents, and other categories, ad infinitum,
ad nauseum.

Anybody ever see such a game?

Andrew Lietzow
The Emerging Hostaholic