Re: quercis macrocarpa, Burr Oak

In a message dated 1/20/01 10:07:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
natures@rea-alp.com writes:

<<  Many of the Maples
 ....(which most think they just have to have) are much slower growing.  I
 have planted Burr Oak seedligns that have put on approx 17" of growth the
 first year....not bad for a slow grower!  In the midwest we have Burr Oak,
 Red Oak, Pin Oak, and N Pin Oak, that are native.  The Burr is the most
 vigorous. >>

The other thing that I have noticed is that maples are dying all around, some
of the nurseries are recommending that one not plant maples because they do
not do well with acid rain or pollutants or whatever is killing them all over.

Some of my neighbors have had expensive programs of vertical mulching and
injections to help try to save their maples.  N.