Re: quercis macrocarpa, Burr Oak

I, too, grow Burr Oaks (purchased two different times and places), one
Live Oak (though we are supposed to be about out of range, and it took
three tries to get one to live), a couple of other non-natives, as well
as several different kinds of native Oaks.  They are very good for
planting hostas under, as they have primarily deep tap roots.  Here,
where we have trouble with gophers and voles, the root systems of the
oaks seem to help discourage these tunneling varmints.

Oak leaves are also excellent for the compost pile and for mulch,
although they might encourage vole tunneling close to the surface. For
vole control, nothing beats a good, female cat.

Betsy