Re: (streak)Question(s)

Horowitz on streak@onelist.com asked if anyone had crossed a streaked
plant with another streaked plant. I am sure that many of us have done
so. He asked for the results and any benefits derived.

(Out of desparation, deprivation and frustration, I am coming out of a
lurking stance to put something on hosta cyberspace  wavelengths and
channels of communication. Hosta-open has been so empty lately that
some one must restimulate the hosta community of friends into  awakening
from their winter cold stupor and self-imposeddormancy.)

Yes, Rick., I have crossed Galaxy with pollen from Chirifu about three
years ago.. The result was at least one exceptional  seedling with a
very dark green  center and a wide yellow-orange border. It's size to
date is perhaps on the small size but the color combination was so
different and striking that I plan to enter it into the First Look new
seedling competion on June 9 in Connecticutt.  Any one who wants to see
what it looks like can see it there. I have only one plant so far but
more will be coming.

I wonder why you asked the question? Did you intend for someone to go
into a long-winded  discussion of why anyone would do such a thing? The
reasons for using streaked pod parents to obtained variegated seedlings
is well known,  I thought. This subject has been described in detail in
many publications. It is easily located on the hostasports.com website.

To my knowledge, there are no particular reasons for using pollen of
streaked plants to encourage or influence additional chances of
variegation in seedlings  to result. Variegation in hostas is influenced
mostly by cytoplasmic inheritance factors (DNA from plastids) from the
pod parent  rather than pollen from the male parent.

Best Regards from
Jim Hawes in Florida (where the temperature is expected to go up to 79 F