Gram wise, pound foolish

Although this will bring me nothing than anger responses instead of
discussing the matter at hand, I like to state the following anyway.
The following letter was written about a month ago to about 10
officers of the AHS including the president. So far only two persons
answered. The near total absence of response and cooperation
found this time and in the last few years has forced me to stop
extensive research on Hosta So the $100.000 from the dutch
governement is now used on other genera. I will continue on hosta
for a hobby just as you do.
Subject:        	two kinds of AHS members!!
date send  	Wed, 3 Jan 2001 11:34:14 +0100
Dear Hosta friends
>  A happy new year to all!
> The board of directors of the American Hosta Society has in her
> wisdom decided that there are two kinds of members: USA
> members that get $1.74 = 6.5 % discount on  their actual fees of
> $26.74 and foreign members that have to pay an extra $4.40, in the
> case of Europeans, above the actual fee of $46.60. Why?
> USA members get a discount because mainly some Americans
> give donations and contribute to the auctions.
> Foreign members get an extra "tax" because they have more than
> their fair share of life members (arguments and figures from K.
> Walek Email). If given also a 6.5 % discount, the fee for Europeans
> would be $43 instead of $51.
> If we follow this line of argument, non-USA members are entitled to
> an even larger discount. This is based on the fact that the Dutch
> governement contributes yearly more than $100.000 to Hosta
> research. All this is thrown away for just a few bucks earned by
> these unfair "taxes". I hope that the board of directors will
> reconsider this very discriminating decision. Waiting for a speedy
> and fair answer, yours sincerely.

Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden