Wow! Thanks for the Feedback!

  • Subject: Wow! Thanks for the Feedback!
  • From: CBCTPLANT@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 13:36:51 EST

Hi Everyone,

We are certainly encouraged by the positive comments on the new and improved FIRST LOOK 2 website!  Thank you to all who have enjoyed their visits and let us know that you like what you see!

For anyone who might have missed it, the new site is: AHS Region One  as a link or http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/index.htm   for whom the above link doesn't work.

In addition to the compliments we have also received some questions about certain areas of the site. As of Jan 01, 2002 the Christmas presents site has been taken down. If anyone missed the winter scene wallpaper, Bill Meyer still has it available and if you Email him at njhosta@hotmail.com  and he will help you download that.

The questions we have answered have alerted us to the fact that desktop icons that take you directly to the HostaLibrary or FIRST LOOK/ Region One   might be handy. So we have whipped up a couple of versions of each and they are now available on the FL wallpaper page.  Once installed on your desktop, you can click on them and they will take you directly there.  Bob has given us the nod for the design of the first HostaLibrary desktop icon so you can now feed your HostaLibrary addiction instantaneously!

Questions about using Netscape instead of Internet Explorer have trickled in and our best answer is this:  Internet Explorer is the best tool to use to navigate the site. On the first page there is a link that will take you to a site where you can download the latest version of Internet Explorer for free. Short of doing that, with Bob Axmear's help, we have written in some Netscape code so that most can see most of the features of the website. Because we didn't want to sacrifice the quality of the photos or features we arrived at a happy medium for a few Netscape users but not all. We have a special someone who uses Netscape 2.0 and with the current Netscape version already at 6.2, we realized that we just couldn't accommodate each visitor so we reached a happy medium and now some Netscape Loyalists can enjoy most of the site.  We apologize to that 'Special Someone' for the smoke that rises from his computer especially around the hand crank area!

On the subject of slow Internet connections ( what I personally suffer) and slow downloads of both the Slide Show and the Photo Viewer section... again we wanted to keep the quality at a high level so you may experience some delays downloading each individual photo for the first time.  If this is more than you can bear, we have tested a trick using multiple IE browsers. I tried it myself and it saved a lot of time. Once the images are saved in your browser history, returning to the individual items will be a breeze.   Instructions from Bill are below.  If you have trouble with this method, an Email for help is always welcome at  njhosta@hotmail.com   or cbctplant@aol.com.

  First, all of the pictures are all loaded there in the Photo Viewer. Carol tells me that with a phone connection to the Internet the photos can take a couple minutes to download (each that is). On the plus side, once they are downloaded it will work smoothly and quickly. I am surprised that it takes so long, but there is something you could do that might speed things up.

Use Internet Explorer, because that is the one that works best. I have checked it in Netscape 6.1 and it worked OK with that too, but IE is better. Open two or three copies of Internet Explorer to the same section of the Photo Viewer. Just open another browser and copy the URL address from the first into the second. You can resize them, or just use the taskbar to go from one to the other. Using one copy click the button for picture number one. Using the next browser click number two, then three in the third one if you have three open. Go back to the first browser and click number four after picture number one has opened. Go through this process until all the photos have downloaded.

When this is done, you will be able to quickly go back and forth through the pictures in that section in any of the browsers. Although this is a little complicated, it will probably save you fifteen or twenty minutes of waiting, and the time will go more quickly.

         Your browser will save these in your temp files (unless you have it set to empty them after closing the browser) and then as long as you don't delete these (using a clean-up utility) you will be able to use the Photo Viewer quickly and easily without having to wait out the downloads again.

Also for those using screen resolutions below 800 x 600, the new Internet Explorer has a new 'full screen' option that some may not know about.  In IE, click VIEW---> then FULL SCREEN   or use  F11 on your PC keyboard.

This concludes the technical jargon portion of this message...you can proceed without fear.

We will continue to load new features so if a button seems to take you nowhere, it is planned to be active in the near future. As always, we are open to your comments and suggestions and welcome your mail!  One suggestion was to have the Photo Lists available while looking at the Photo Viewer.  I have each list available as a Word doc if anyone wants them to print out.

We hope you are enjoying the site and each of the features as much as we enjoyed putting it together for all to see. And even though Chick feels that some of his poses are less than flattering, we think that you will get the feel for the fun we all had at FIRST LOOK!     Bring on FIRST LOOK 2!

EEE ya later alligators....after while hostaphiles!
cb
Carol In Ct z 6/5
AHS Region One
http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/index.htm