Re: Information

  • Subject: Re: Information
  • From: njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 09:43:45 -0500
  • Wrom: AFXISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSFDULHPQQW

Hi John,
         This subject came up 6-7 years ago the first time 'Sagae' was
tissue-cultured. Some nurseries began selling the all-green culls as
fluctuans. George Schmid, Tony Avent, and others reached the conclusion that
it was not fluctuans by comparing it to examples of the species brought from
Japan. Record keeping in Japan has been somewhat vague, probably because
many of the interesting plants found there are found by ordinary people who
sold them to vendors. It is generally accepted that 'Sagae' is a hybrid of
some kind, and this was a big part of changing the name from fluctuans
'Variegated' back to its original name 'Sagae'. Tony has at least one
example of the species for sale, and I have one here, but it's a little hard
to check now. I doubt Tony has any plants up out of dormancy now either, but
you shouldn't have any trouble getting one from him and starting it early if
you want. I thing his price is only $15 or so for sizeable plants.
          Have you had any all-yellow sports that seem viable? There has
also been some talk that a 'Sagae' sport that is solely made up of the
margin tissue can be viable. I personally doubt this, but do consider a
streaked form possible. A streaked 'Sagae' could be a wonderful boon to
hybridizers.

................Bill Meyer