Re: Kalopanax

Clyde - have you ever seen a true aralia spinosa? True Devil's Walking Stick.

I have one that my mother's father somehow "obtained" (smuggled over) from
Europe back in the 1920's. It is very hardy, spreads underground a bit but a
definite conversation piece in my garden.

Again, very similar description except for leaves and flowers, but definitely
an aralia with spines. Beautiful flower heads and fruit for the birds.