Wanted - lists of the best hostas to add this spring.

  • Subject: Wanted - lists of the best hostas to add this spring.
  • From: Jim Sherwood <jimwsherwood@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 03:17:19 -0800 (PST)

Hi all, best wishes for 2002.
I wish to get a list of some of the best, medium sized leaf, hostas
to add this spring. "The grass will go!" I want plants that end up 2
to 3 feet wide.

I am planning on 10 to 20 clumps (several plants each if needed) and
am thinking of adding some "Black leaf hostas" as well.
I want to take advantage of the spring discounts for early ordering.

Spent the weekend drafting the front yard garden layout and laying
out the borders on paper.
Thanks for any ideas. I know its a matter of "taste" but the group is
"expert advice".
Jim Sherwood, Chicago area, jimwsherwood@yahoo.com

Here is some text that I got from Hallson gardens.
"Hi Jim,
Thanks, I'm glad you liked the newsletter. The pardancanda would be
great for a rock garden, provided they get mostly sun.(I have a sunny
spot, Jim) I'm not sure if you would have that in a hosta garden.

The clumps usually send up 3 to 5 flower stalks. We usually need to
trim the roots to fit them into a nursery gallon. If planted in the
spring you would probably get even more blooms than that by summer. I
would plant them 12 to 18" apart. 3 to 5 plants would make a big
clump. They should be divided every couple years to keep them
vigorous. If the area gets too wet in the winter they can struggle,
so good drainage is important. (I think of all these things AFTER
sending out the newsletter).

As for the hosta question, that sounds like a good question for the
hosta forum. Medium (leaf, jim) is a tough one to judge since they
will all be large eventually. If I had to make the list off the top
of my head? I would  start with Minuteman, Paul's Glory, tokudama
'Flavocircinalis', Black Hills, Shade Fanfare, Bright Lights.... I'm
sure others could give you even more on the forum. Here is the link
if you still need it:

http://www.perennialnursery.com/phpBB/index.php

One of the members is even putting together a survey of just about
every size and leaf color combination right now. He hopes to have the
results but the end of the winter.

As for the Black hostas, they are simply very dark green. And I've
heard that the more magnesium they get, the darker they will be.
Black Hills can get quite dark under the right growing conditions,
but I also like it for the very thick, corrugated leaves. Lakeside
Black Satin is almost identical to Hosta ventricosa but somewhat
darker under some growing conditions.
Most people find it to be identical to ventricosa in normal garden
conditions.
Potomac Pride is another one that has very, very dark leaves and is
well worth growing.

For foxglove, we won't be selling them by mail order. The roots are
very fine and would need to be shipped as potted plants. We only ship
bare root.
(I have a quantity of amber foxgloves (With dark specs) and have
found they transplant well and take misuse easly. I am looking for a
source of adult potted plants for mass planting)

But they are really easy to grow from seed and will self seed like
crazy.
Just scatter the seeds into a growing area and transplant them to the
garden, or start them right in the garden. Don't cover the seeds or
they won't germinate.

Well, I hope that helps. If you have any other questions let me know!
Chris"

=====

See the new club for Royality Trusts:

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/royalitytrusthidividends