Re: Question for Dr. Grewal

  • Subject: Re: Question for Dr. Grewal
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:13:05 -0500

Hi Dr.Grewal,
             Thank you for answering. From what I've seen, they seem to
spread at a rate of about ten feet a year in all directions, more if
downhill. Would this seem about right? Your findings indicate that ZeroTol
kills about 80% when plants are in the ground, if I remember right. Would
this make it likely that a resistant strain would develop? Also would using
ZeroTol regularly control the spread, or would they continue to spread
through the rest of the garden at more or less the same rate?

.........Bill Meyer

> Hi Bill,
>
> I know that most effective nematicides are no more available to control
> foliar nematodes and there are many restrictions the use of other
> chemicals.  In our research, we have discovered that ZeroTol, which is
> currently used as a general sterilant/fungicide, is an effective
nematicide
> against foliar nematodes.  This chemical can be applied by home
> owners.  Our findings on ZeroTol and other chemicals to control/suppress
> foliar nematodes were published in the Spring issue of Hosta Journal in
> 2001.  There are also other useful tips and preventive measures described
> in that article.
>
> Yes, foliar nematodes can eventually kill hosta plants if they are ignored
> for long.  Overtime nematode populations build up on plants and in the
soil
> around plants.
>
> Parwinder Grewal
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Entomology
> OARDC
> The Ohio State University
> 1680 Madison Ave
> Wooster, Ohio 44691, USA
> Phone (330) 263-3963
> Fax (330) 263-3686
>

> At 11:31 AM 01/08/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hi Dr. Grewal,
> >           A question that is commonly asked on the lists is what can the
> >average gardener who does not have access to restricted chemicals like
> >Nemacur do about foliar nematode infestation. Because of changes in the
> >pesticide laws, many of us find ourselves with these pests running
rampant
> >and we are not permitted to use the chemicals that best control them.
What