Re: Question for Dr. Grewal

  • Subject: Re: Question for Dr. Grewal
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 14:16:02 -0500

Another thing most people seem confused about is when in the spring they
become active. Because symptoms do not show in hosta until midsummer, it is
impossible to tell without a microscope if a plant or bed is infested. This
causes most gardeners to think in terms of beginning control measures at
that time. When do nematodes come out of dormancy in the spring, and when
should treatment begin?
                                                            .........Bill
Meyer

> Yes, the rate of spread is about right and it depends mainly on the soil
> type, slope and water.
>
> No nematicide provides 100% control of nematodes, but there are no reports
> on the development of resistance in nematodes under field
> conditions.  Furthermore, the mode of action of ZeroTol is such that
> resistance development is not really possible.
>
> Regular applications of ZeroTol to infected plants will reduce spread of
> the nematodes in a garden.  Plucking of infected leaves as soon as the
> symptoms of nematode infection become clear followed by a thorough
> clean-out in the fall can substantially reduce nematode spread.
>                 - Parwinder Grewal
>
> At 01:13 PM 01/08/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hi Dr.Grewal,
> >              Thank you for answering. From what I've seen, they seem to
> >spread at a rate of about ten feet a year in all directions, more if
> >downhill. Would this seem about right? Your findings indicate that
ZeroTol