Re: Another Question for Dr. Grewal

  • Subject: Re: Another Question for Dr. Grewal
  • From: Parwinder Grewal <grewal.4@osu.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 13:30:14 -0500

It is best to apply 2% ZeroTol spray when the plants are actively growing
during the season.  Since there are no symptoms in the spring, thus no
apparent damage to the plants, one should wait until summer.  The best time
to apply is when the symptoms first begin to develop in late July and early
August (in the Midwest).  If you know that you had foliar nematode
infection on certain plants the previous year, you may apply one or two
preventive sprays in late spring and early summer time.  It would not be of
much use to spray when the plants are going dormant as nematodes may escape
contact with the nematicide as the enter overwintering sites.  The best
measure at this time would be to minimize nematode inoculum (source) by a
good fall clean out.  Collect and burn all drying leaves and plant parts.

Parwinder Grewal