Seeds in the freezer

Dear Helen
Congratulations with the results of your experiments. The proof of
the pudding is in the eating Or, it is better to experiment than to
have endless discusions on what could be. I like to add the
following comments I hope they are usefull to you. Earlier in my
time table for hostas, I recommended the following: if you want to
keep seeds  for a few weeks, do it at room temp Or if for months
keep them a in the fridge If for more than say 6 months put them in
the freezer. In the latter case it is very important to dry the seeds
first ( 14 days at room temp in a dry environment) else ice crystals
will ruin the seedling ( This might have happened in your case) The
speed of germination of seeds from freshly opened pods has to do
with their moisture content. I have weighted them, they loose about
50% of their weights in a week after removing from the pods. Dry
seeds have first to take up water again so for a faster germination
of dry seeds you have to keep them very wet. If I have crosses with
say less than 6 seeds I put them straight in a small tube with water
There too they germinate faster (better?) than those on soil. Keep
going with the experiments!!
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden