Re: Sterilizing pots

  • Subject: Re: Sterilizing pots
  • From: m singer <nmb@ameritech.net>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 06:02:42 -0500

voice of experience here. The melted pots smell MUCH worse than the hot
soil, and the stench hangs around forEVER it seems. I understand it can
actually create toxic fumes!  I never did the pot thing again (actually
I was doing the soil IN the pot), I still do the soil but only in
Coringware or Pyrex covered containers (which holds in the steam so the
soil get hot and steamy)! I never tried clay pots since similar glazed
dishes aren't microwaveable.  I would think at minimum, they would shale
just like they do in the winter for the same reason, the is expansion of
the water trapped in the pores. In the winter it's from freezing, in the
microwave from conversion to steam. It wouldn't surprise me at all that
they could explode and potentially damage the microwave depending on the
amount of water and how fast it heated up! I'm not going to try though.

Mary