Re: Looking for Alex Keenan's email address

  • Subject: Re: Looking for Alex Keenan's email address
  • From: "Dan & Lu" <hostanut@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:15:30 -0500

Hi Pat,
I'm not aware of any outer coating on copper based products. Spin-out is a copper based root growth inhibitor that is available in liquid form and is used to spray container grown plants including trees. When the plant roots reach the side of the pot and come in contact with the copper the root tips stop elongating. The result is the plant roots stop growing and new roots grow from the plant making a better root ball. We all have seen potted plant roots that have hit the side of the pot and then circled around the inside edge of the pot. I've seen lots of hostas like this. Woody plants grown in pots will circle the pot also and this gives the woody plant a very poor root structure. When the woody plant is planted in the ground these circling roots girdle each other and years later some of these roots die and decay and with trees root decay at the base of the tree is a very serious problem. With trees this root decay might not show itself for a decade but once it gets started there is very little that can be done. Copper treated pots work really well with container grown trees.

Dan & Lu