Re: Discussion on 'Halcyon' is the parent of both 'June' and 'Katheryn Lewis'.

  • Subject: Re: Discussion on 'Halcyon' is the parent of both 'June' and 'Katheryn Lewis'.
  • From: LemkeIowa@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:37:46 EST

In a message dated 1/20/02 11:27:48 PM, JSchw94560@aol.com writes:

<< Hi All,

Just came back from a the GREAT Scientific Meeting weekend in Chicago.

Mark Zilis gave his talk on the Hosta 'Halcyon' and its relatives.

Here is his thoughts on the subject.

Subj:    Re: Discussion on 'Halcyon' is the parent of both 'June' and
'Katheryn Lewis'.
Date:   1/20/2002 10:44:06 PM Central Standard Time
F >>

Mr. Schwarz:

You have just received the dubious honor of supplying ID 2542 ES for your
error in spelling the above "Katheryn. It is now etched in stone in Lemke's
Hosta Database.

We are in a world in which we refer often to the statement. Monkey See,
Monkey do.
It appears it was entered into the US of A spelled in error,  Monkey see,
Monkey Do.  Mr. Zilis stayed away from the problem by not entering it into
his book.  So all us copy cats wrote it down as we seen it 'Kathryn.'

Somewhere early on in live I have heard 'Two Wrongs make a right.'  Maybe
that was 'Two wrongs make a rite.'  So now let us make a rite so we all write
it right.

In a letter from Roger Bowden he gave me a exciting compliment.  He wrote>>I
rarely look at the database items you put on to hostapix but happened to spot
this one while my finger hovered over delete.
In the second paragraph he writes>>>>
There is NO Doubt about the spelling of hostas 'Katherine Lewis', I know the
young lady and the plant was introduced by her plantsman father called Alan
Lewis.
\
In the last paragraph he writes>> No doubt you obtained your information from
some source you trusted>  I believe the introduction of this plant to USA was
by Terra Nova who had the plant spelled wrongly at the start.  I have
informed several US people of the correction having first checked with Alan
that I had got it right.

So 'Katherine Lewis' it is.

I'll keep the light on for you,

Marvin (Mike) Lemke