Editor of The Hosta Journal and other topics

  • Subject: Editor of The Hosta Journal and other topics
  • From: Giboshiman@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:42:13 EST

If you haven't received your Journal yet, or like most people leave the editor's message to last, I wanted to let you know that I have stepped down as editor of The Hosta Journal.  Please submit all manuscripts and related materials to Bob Olson who is the new Journal Editor.  Bob is also setting up an easy to remember email to send materials to, so stay tuned to this station!

I am still Vice President for Publications and part of the reason for stepping down is that CH has asked me to help out in several other areas of societal activities.

One of these activities is to develop a follow-up "brochure," similar to The Hosta Adventure, but designed to be called something like "The Hosta Pioneers."  The genesis of this book is the membership.  We have had many members suggest such a follow-up publication, especially as some of our pioneers have left us for better places.  In addition, we have actually had many members ask, who is Alex Summers, who is Herb Benedict, etc.

One of the hardest parts of starting such a project is selecting the first group of people to write about.  I have asked Bob Solberg, C.H. Falstad, and W. George Schmid (as historian of the AHS) to help me in making the selection.

What we would like from you are suggestions of persons to include.  Think back to the beginning of the society (or your beginning in the society) and who was notable.  The space will limit us to 25 to 30 persons in the first book -- but, who knows this might become a 3 volume past-present and to come sort of publication!

After we have made our initial selection we will be coming back to you to see if you would like to be the author of one of these persons background.  When you make your recommendations for persons to include also indicate if you would also like to author the piece about that person.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Kevin P. Walek