Re: 'Delta Dawn-streaked' or Delta Force

  • Subject: Re: 'Delta Dawn-streaked' or Delta Force
  • From: "timsaville" <timsaville@breathemail.net>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:55:55 -0000

Hi Chick
Whilst I see and accept the "chicken & egg" dilemma you are pondering upon I do disagree with you about the naming of "sported" streakies. I do however feel that great restraint is required as far as seedlings go.
I just can't see what the actual disadvantage there is in straight forwardly naming/registering a streaked version of an already registered hosta compared to leaving it to be labelled a rather clumsy "streaked version of ......" or ".H  A B C..Supreme)
Perhaps when a stable version of a (new) hosta is registered the introducer should also register the (new) streaked plant, assuming it is still around and didnt totally morph in to the stable plant.  Some recent registrations from the same originator seem to follow that avenue.
Incidentally I seem to remember Preston Littleton pointing out to me that it is prefectly possible to have two streaked versions of the same (stable) hosta registered/named. I forget the example quoted to me, but for example I have a streaked Summer Fragrance which does seem different from Edwin Bibby (more green/yellow that white/green). Both came from the same nursery however so I hesitate (as many others do when finding very similar stable sports already found elsewhere from the same hosta) to name it.
Please let us know where your musings take you. I do feel this is a subject that won't go away.
Tim over the pond