Chinese Poetry

  • Subject: Chinese Poetry
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 12:23:03 -0500 (EST)

A change of pace guys.

Ku K'uang  (725?-c. 814)

                        Written upon Returning to the Mountains

My worries: several strands of white hair;
My livelihood: a stretch of green hills.
A deserted grove, snow-covered, is waiting;
On an ancient road there's no one, I return alone.

                        Upon a Brook

A girl gathering lotus upon a brook.
Timid in a tiny boat that shifts in the wind,
Startles a pair of mallards from their sleep;
Water and clouds are splattered red.

Wei Ying-wu  (737-?)

                        On Sound

Ten thousand things are heard when born,
But the highest heaven's always still.
Yet everything must begin in silence.
And into silence it vanishes.

                In Imitation of T'ao P'eng-tse

When frost and dew have caused a hundred plants to wither,
The season's chrysanthemums alone look comely.
The nature of things being what it is, can heat or cold do anything to them?
I pluck a bloom to float in unstrained wine;
When the sun goes down, I meet farmers intheir home.
To lie drunk under the thatched eaves:
Should the meaning of life be found only in abundance?

Taken from   "Sunflower Splendor : Three Thousand Years of Chinese Poetry
Co-edited by Wu-chi Liu and Irving Yucheng Lo

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
Tel: 802-885-2839