RE: More Gardening attire/entertaining

  • Subject: RE: More Gardening attire/entertaining
  • From: "Sandra Fain" <slfain@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 9:4:7 -0700

On a diferent note, I must chime in here, also.  On weekends, I have my mismatched comfort clothes and  an old straw hat.  Fortunately, with the Montana weather,  sweat (I thought women were not supposed to sweat) is not something I have to worry about.  More often than not, I am covered against the chill.  I DID purchase a lovely white gardening shirt last spring but if I LIKE having dirt under my fingernails, then it only makes sense that I am at home with dirt on my clothing so the white shirt remans hanging in the closet.
    But the most common clothing for others to see me wearing when I am stooped over scratching in the dirt beside one of my treasures will be the clothes I am chained to during the day - heels, hose, and other office attire.  I have been known to weld a shovel in heels.   By the time I am released from the office and I pull into the drive, I just don't have the time to run in and change.  Something from the garden is calling me and my family will find me an hour later, still outside, doing something that just cannot wait.  I think my neighbors think I have "airs" but soil on my black skirt just grounds me.  And then I am home, part of the universe again, and content.
Sandra
Sent: 1/28/2002 5:45:59 PM
Subject: More Gardening attire/entertaining

"As February slides downhill towards spring, I begin to wish for new
clothes.  I shouldn't be tempted. I should finish out my winter things. At
the farm, I can't scratch around in the dirt with creamy shell-pink frocks
tucked and pleated all over the front.  I can't have dogs climbing over me
while I don a crisp sheer this-and-that.  All summer the costume of slacks
and jersey shirts is varied only by the difference as to just where the
shirt has faded most or whether the slacks have green paint-spots on them or
red.  I think a woman should always appear in immaculate cool linens,
organdies, muslins in summer--with soft picture hats and pastel slippers or
spectator sport shoes. That is, I think that in February.  But in April I'll
be pulling down those old, old blue corduroys that even a lumberjack
wouldn't wear.  I ordered them by mail, and time has aged them to my figure;
they bag just where I need them to, and they are strong as iron, but not too
hot.  We've been through a good deal together, and when they finally fall to
pieces, I'll hang them back in the closet, after the manner of "empty
saddles in the old corral."

Gladys Taber, Harvest at Stillmeadow, 1938

> > << What do you
> >  wear for serious gardening?

Here in south Texas I wear as little as humanly possible.  My favorites
are a dozen old sleeveless house dresses that are so old and worn that
you can read through them, the good kind with huge pockets.  Most are
held together with mismatched thread, safety pins, and even staples but
if the holes ain't to big to where they fall off, I just leave 'em be.
The old gals serve me well since it is so hot here 9 months out of the
year and the old cotton material soaks up sweat and evaporates quickly.

Add to that my head gear, an old dish towel held on with a large western
bandana.  I look like Tonto crossed with an Arab.  Keeps the sweat out
of my eyes, evaporates quickly, and as a bonus, a handy rag to wipe my
face and glasses.

I wear nothing else except a worn old pair of slip on tennis shoes, or
at least that's what they used to be.  With the seams torn and tattered
up both sides they kept filling up with sand plus my toes kept sliding
out.  I finally got tired of stopping to shake out my shoes so patched
them with duct tape, wrapping the tape around the front end of the shoe
until no holes showed.  Fixed 'em right up as good as new and it's
easier to pull out the grass burrs to boot!

I have been caught in my gardening attire more than once and am long
passed being embarrassed.  I figure it took me 50 years to get this old,
fat, and ugly, and if someone drops by unannounced they pay the price by
having to gaze upon my loveliness.  I have noticed that most folks don't
stand downwind tho, hmmm...

I'm not one to quit on a garment just because it has a little age on it.

Linda

Claire,
I get a great mental picture of you out there chasing ground hogs/woodchucks
in your bathrobe.   LOL.  I think if the truth were known, all of us have
been guilty of gardening in "night attire" and "shabby chic".  I not only
look strange, I sing outloud when I am happy and I am happy in my garden.  I
also talk to plants, birds, etc.  I quit wondering what the neighbors think
a long time ago :).

--- Sandra Fain