Hosta species

  • Subject: Hosta species
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2002 23:48:44 -0800 (PST)

Ben:

>What is it, that make people so weary even just to mention that such
>articles exist? Or is this another indication that article 2 of the
>Bylaws speaking about ""fostering of Hosta knowledge"" should be
>changed?

You have to understand that just about all amateur plant societies are
much more social societies then interested in scientific issues or
problems.  The problems you face with the hosta society isn't anything
personal and you really shouldn't take it personally.  Every time the
editor of the daylily journal published one of my scientific based
articles she ended up getting chewed up one side and down the other
from those elitist who didn't want anything in the journal that was
above their reading level.

The other problem you have is that the articles you submit are poorly
written in English and the editors don't have any idea of how to edit
them.  If you want, I'll be happy to help you edit the articles into a
form that is readable for the Hosta Journal.  I'm not a member of the
hosta society, so the AHS people won't ask me to help edit your
articles for them.  However, I'll be willing to edit them for you and
you can then submit them to the journal in a form that is readable to
the average member.

The other thing you may consider is to put your articles on your
personal web site for public viewing.  I put all my major lily and
daylily articles on my web site for people to read.

Joe Halinar