Moving Hostas

  • Subject: Moving Hostas
  • From: "Bob Wescott" <blw2629@cox.net>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 14:53:07 -0500

I usually do not post but I need some help.  My house went on the market on
a Tuesday afternoon two weeks ago and was sold the next day.  I had built
into the contract that I am allowed to remove my hosta collection as long as
I fill the holes that will be left.  The closing is mid March and I live in
Connecticut so I am hoping that the ground will not be frozen so I can dig.
Although the temperature has been in the 50s and 60s the last few days, I am
the only one in town with snow and ice in my yard.  So, needless to say, my
yard stays frozen longer then most.  Has anyone every dug hostas up out of
frozen soil?

I know that you are thinking why don't I just dig the hostas up, take them
to the new place and plant them.  Well, it is not that easy, my house was
not supposed to sell as quickly as it did.  We are building a new house and
it will not be ready until late June/early July(I am going to have 5 acres
to grow my collection).  My agent thought that it would take a month or two
on the market and then another couple for the closing so that it is why it
was listed early.  We made arrangements to move temporarily into a house
adjacent to where my house is being built but, someone is living in that
house until mid April and I will not have access to the property.

Here is my problem:  I can dig and re-plant the hosts in pots but II only
have pots for about 150 and I have well over 700 plants. Believe me, I am
taking all of them.  I could go out and buy another 550 pots but I need the
cash to pay for the new hostas that I purchased this year.  As you all know,
it is a sickness.  I was thinking that I could dig the plants, wash the soil
off and then put them in large zip lock bags with some peat moss.  Has
anyone ever done this? Would they be ok for 1 month or maybe 1 1/2  months
this way?  I will plant them at the temporary house and then move them once
again to their permanent location in the fall.

Anyone have any other suggestions?