Re: Moving Hostas

  • Subject: Re: Moving Hostas
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:36:30 -0500

Hi Bob,
         Looks like your worst problem may be digging them if the ground is
frozen. I'd talk to the new owners about allowing you to dig later in case
it is. Once you have them dug, I can suggest two options. If you want pots,
nurseries often have a huge pile of old ones somewhere in the back of the
property and they may let you have them free or for a small amount. Ask
around. I would say the easiest and cheapest solution would be to find some
free leaf compost from some town that has an excess of it from collecting
leaves, or pay for it in bulk, which shouldn't be too expensive either.
You'll need at least a truckload. It is the best stuff because it has plenty
of nutrients and it's light and easy to move.
         Set the hostas on the ground right side up at either property, but
preferably the one you bought. Just make rows of them with a little space in
between, then cover them with enough leaf mulch to put the crowns about one
inch below the surface. Keep an eye out for too much moisture and crown rot,
and use a fungicide if it is a problem. You might also want to watch for
vole activity and bait or trap if they show up. They should grow well enough
that way all summer, and when you start transplanting them into the gardens,
they should easily pull up by hand. Keep some extra leaf compost to cover
them later when they become exposed as the first stuff settles or degrades.
As you transplant them, the leaf compost will be great for amending the

......Bill Meyer