Re: Moving Hostas

Interesting scenario.  I moved a two-and-a-half years ago and had the task of
moving many hostas (about 300 at the time).  It was late October, so digging
them up was not an issue, but I didn't have time to prepare new gardens for
most of them.

Here's what I did:  I went to the local garden center where and the owner was
more than glad to sell me used pots at 15 cents apiece for 2-gallon pots (he
had hundreds of them in all sizes).  I probably could have gotten them for
less but I was glad to not have to pay $1 or more for new ones. I purchased
over 100 of them and filled every last one of them (plus the pots that I
already owned in various sizes). Since I didn't have time to plant, I piled
them outside, threw a few leaves on them, and covered them with  a tarp for
the winter.  The remaining plants I stored bareroot in peat moss in a cold
basement.  I didn't have any problems with either method.  You may also want
to the community recycling/transfer center - I've heard that sometimes you
can pick up used pots there, but I have never tried it.

Hopefully you have marked your hostas well or you have good records.

By the way, I live in Connecticut as well (Middletown).  Hopefully, we'll
have more of this warm weather before you close on the house and you will be
able to dig. Where do you live that you still have snow?  I am sure I could
dig right now with no problem if I had to (although cold weather is coming
this weekend).  Good luck.

Joe Swift
Middletown, CT