Re: Moving Hostas

Bob,

I really liked Bill's idea of putting you hostas on top of the ground....and covering with leaf compost. It's the easiest way to go and would be very convenient when it comes time to plant.

I moved almost 3000 hosta crowns from Delaware to Georgia. All of these hostas were dug by a crew of six people the weekend before Christmas of 2001 and I'm still getting them in the ground.

We used the standard plastic grocery bags. You can often get them at Wal-Mart in their recycle area. I got thousands for free this way. I use the Eon metal plant markers with the metal 1 inch x 3 inch tag. The tags are easy to remove from the stakes and we put the tags in the bottom of the bag and placed the hosta on top of the tag. This worked very well. I still have about 20% to plant....and the hostas still look good stored in these plastic bags. Really large hostas and multiples were placed in larger garbage bags. When the hosta is planted....or in your case "heeled in" with leaf compost the 1 by  tag can be put back on it's stake.

Best of luck.

Dan & Lu