Happy New Year from FL 3

  • Subject: Happy New Year from FL 3
  • From: CBCTPLANT@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 20:30:37 EST

Hi everybody!

Thanks so much for all the great compliments. Sharon's was really something
special! Everyone sent in all these great photos and we know we would want to
see how things went if we weren't able to be there, so it just made sense to
put them together into the First Look website. The pictures you see there
came from Alttara, Clyde, Ran, Kent, Viktoria, and Arthur Wrede, and a few
from me too. They are as much a part of making the site look good as anything
we did in Frontpage.

The real reason we share it, though, is to give everyone a taste of how much
fun FIRST LOOK meetings are!

Anyone who attends can participate in a myriad of just plain fun activities.
There is the serious competition, of course, but the other goings-on at FIRST
LOOK are really what it is all about too. And mostly there is time and
opportunity to talk. Talk hostas. Talk gardening. Talk plants. Ask questions,
find answers, and, like Kent mentioned, share a fellowship.

One recurring theme that is heard after so many of the hosta meetings we have
attended, is I wish I had more time to chat with this friend or that
nurseryman. If I had just seen Bob Solberg or Mary Chastain, I would love to
have told them how much I love their plants in my garden.  Or I want to ask
Warren Pollock how much he waters those potted hostas before he stores them
for winter in his garage.

At FIRST LOOK we have planned casual time into the schedule just to give
everybody a chance to do that. Last year we added classes to the schedule in
response to attendee requests.  Walter Cullerton and Clyde Crockett had a
small meeting room each where 20-30 attendees participated in discussions
about everything hosta gardening. Feedback was so positive that we will plan
a couple more depending on our attendee numbers.  There is also our town
meeting where topics range from "how to get a plant patent" to "what is your
favorite time release fertilizer"? It's great for getting some of the topics
most on people's minds out into open discussion.

Even our meals are set up to allow casual exchange. The fare is fun and
delicious and both lunch and dinner are buffet so everyone can have what they

All of us at FIRST LOOK are hoping that this will be the year that we get to
host most of you the weekend just before the AHS convention begins.  You'll
will be coming out this way anyway so add FL3 to your plans and prepare to
have a ball! We'll help out with directions and all to places you can go
in-between the two meetings too. If you love hostas and have a week of
vacation time, we'll show you some of the best the East has to offer.

Carol in CT z6/5

<A HREF="http://www.hostalibrary.org/firstlook/";>FIRST LOOK 3</A>
The AHS Region One Meeting
June 14, 2003   Parsippany, NJ