RE: Q &A for THJ

Here are a few Questions for you and THJ:

1)  Best time to divide.  Spring, Summer or Fall?
	I've always believed Summer or Fall as the plant has finished
doing it's thing and required energy to fully emerge, unfurl etc will
not be compromised by splitting and shocking the plant. I've heard much
disagreement on this topic.

2) Size.  Here is a question or a theory or something along those lines
that I would love an anwser to.

I like'em big.  I like hosta leaves to be as big and full and wonderful
as possible.  I want to know the best way to get them big.  I know that
hosta seem to grow bigger the farther north you go.  Why is this?  And
how far north is too far north?  What is the effect of the # of hours of
daylight a hosta receives???  I've seen shows that have stated that
produce grown in the far north lattitudes get much bigger than they do
further south.  Does this have an impact on hosta leaves?

I believe that in the south leaves will be smaller and divisions higher
than hosta grown in the north..... anybody want to throw out some
theories?

Mike
Milwaukee