Re: Why Grow Other's Seeds? / Junk Hostas

RBRSSR@aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 01/04/2003 8:19:12 PM Central Standard Time, chick@bridgewoodgardens.com writes:

The following is about seed, but IMHO it also applies to Hosta Catalogs/Price Lists. I am very disappointed when I see junk hostas being offered by those who know that they are junk. H. 'Golden Sunburst' is a prime example. Let the buyer beware!
Well, it's a problem we've discussed before, but I don't mind going at it again since nobody can come up with anything interesting except my waistline, my dog, and my boogie shoes.

I've said before and I still think, there are very few hostas that are not worth offering. Golden Sunburst is definitely one that should not be sold, and probably Lunar Eclipse could be dropped, but frankly, very few people offer them any more. I would include Brim Cup in the list of plants that I won't offer because I have trouble with it, but Dave Chopko has a beautiful plant, so I wouldn't call it junk. Personally I don't believe in banishing plants because some people can't grow them or don't like them. And I don't want to be the one who decides.

Just how many plants do we see in catalogs that we would all agree are junk?

Chick