Q and A for THJ

  • Subject: Q and A for THJ
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 14:55:28 -0500

 Dear Hosta Brethren:

 It's great to see some life in the old robins again. The Bill and Chick Show
 (and all the supporting characters) is always a treat too. Their proximity
 to Washington D.C. makes them expert at such exchanges. Chick and Bill
hand puppets at the national convention this year would be a splendid fund
raiser. That business about hosta seeds on Ebay was a nice Caveat Emptor
too.

 The thread tracing hosta addiction was certainly a valuable scholarly
addition to the nature of addiction itself. For some of you creative souls,
I bet this question could generate a lot more wonderful speculation which
might provide some beneficial laughter to the Q and A Column.Consider this
an invitation, but if you e-mail them, keep them private. There ought to be
some surprise answers in THJ which we all might enjoy. Please,consider
trying out your fanciful answers to our shared  addiction. I myself think
that pheromones enter into the picture, I'll bet Chick could explore that
idea.

 Thank you very much for all of the questions, as well as the smattering of
 answers which may point to some new possibilities. The Q and A Column, in
 respect  to answers, will have both factual answers and some that are no
 doubt "opinion" answers. Both are valuable....and inevitable.

 Bobbi D. and I will sort through this group of questions, (we have two
 other major sources for questions too) and then share them with those who
 are willing to take their experience and knowledge in building a better
 vole trap for all of us.

 At the risk of repeating myself (for the hundredth time) we are always
 looking for new people who are willing to try a paragraph or two for
 THJ...without making the commitment of a scholarly treatise on nematodes...
 with footnotes.

 Keeping that in mind...how about sending us your most heartfelt question
 with your best heartfelt answer to that same question. Inquiring readers of
 THJ want to know. After all, you don't know what you don't know, until you
 know it. And even then it could be open to debate.:-). Send all such
 questions and answers to Bobbi and me privately. Keep the mystery!

 We hope to have such a drive for questions and answers on the robins once a
 year.....or possibly twice as we now have 3 Hosta Journals a year. The
 ongoing discussions on the robins are an invaluable resource too. Ignorance
 should be our greatest asset (I know it's mine), at least for as long as
 we can find people who will share their knowledge and experience (and
 opinions).

 Here in Vermont with 24" of powdery snow and a hundred cars from
Connecticut, off the road, as their Velcro-clad ski occupants jump up and
down frantically dialing their cell phones as they try and find local
people who will tow their Mercedes out of the ditches. HEH HEH HEH HEH.

"Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is enough time." GBS
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156