Most unusual hostas

  • Subject: Most unusual hostas
  • From: earthspirit bdn7458@mailbag.com
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 19:38:44 -0600

I really like hearing about the junky hostas, but I was wondering which hostas are the most unique and wonderful, in your opinions?
To me, a truly unique plant is immediately recognized as that particular cultivar, without being a true guru of the genus. I have far more daylilies than I have hosta, and even though there are close to 50,000 named varieties, some are immediately known. Although there are far fewer hosta, there are some that are easily recognizable, and some of those are wonderful growers in the garden as well. If you will each send me your 10 most unique, wonderful hosta, either publicly or privately with UNIQUE in the subject line, I volunteer to keep track and make the final results known. There are lots of good garden hosta, but many are very similar to other hostas. Thank you in advance. Jean Bawden, Madison, Wi